Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Thing #9 - RSS Search Engines

To me, there’s a difference between keeping up on current events via magazines or journals and The News. I don’t like The News. It annoys me and tends to piss me off because I don’t deal well with mass stupidity or with things I have no power over (change-wise). I’m not that big into gossip either and that seems to be what a good portion of The News (especially political News) is.

After getting that off my chest, I can get to the main point of this post – a review of blog search engines. And here’s my opinion:
Topix: too much News. I really don’t care who Palin has annoyed and convinced to use their credit cards or who she blames for the Republican defeat in the 2008 election. I don’t really care how many people were shot today and how many kids have been dropped off under the Safe Haven law. It’s rather selfish, but if it doesn’t effect me or set precedence on something that might effect me, I don’t really want to know about it.

Syndic8: interesting but unless I’m looking for a specific subject for an RSS feed or something interesting appears in their Random 5 or 10 headlines/syndicated feeds/countries, I didn’t see much for my favorite sorts of RSS blogs

Technorati: a little better but I was really only interested in the technology tab and even then, I didn’t see anything I’d set up the RSS (or in my case to be emailed the top daily articles) feed for.
I guess my tastes run more toward humorous blogs, things that amuse me or useless information about certain historical events – in other words, things that have little influence on current events. And often times I’m sent links to interesting blogs, I find them in tech journals or links to them from other blogs I like.

No comments: