Saturday, November 15, 2008

Thing #11 – LibraryThing

Rather interesting, but I’m not really anal-retentive enough to use it regularly. I’m also a copy cataloger with hundreds of books at home (no exaggeration: 8 bookcases and I still don’t have enough space) and the thought of entering them all into a database would drive me a little nuts (okay, further nuts). I generally know what I have and about where it is on the shelves. At one point I had them sorted into sections and alphabetized, but I haven’t had the motivation to do that for a while. But seeing as 4 of those bookcases are still at my parents’ house - I know, it’s been 7 years and I just don’t have room to bring them with me. I do go back and raid them periodically and I tend to reread my books or I’d sell them – having my bookshelves separated like that makes it rather difficult to really organize my collection. But back to my point, although it’s a neat site, I just don’t think I have the time to enter all the books I have. Although, if I ever wanted to discuss books with someone, this site would be a good place to start.

http://www.librarything.com/profile/cotton.aj (Profile)
http://www.librarything.com/catalog/cotton.aj (Library)

No comments: